When I get back to the city, everything's cluttered and pretty

Lauren just asked me if the blinds were drawn, cause she wanted to go into the livingroom and not worry about who would be outside and potentially see her. I told her that, why yes, I did happen to draw the blinds before I came to the back. And then I remembered the main character of one of my all time favorite children's series, Amelia Bedelia.

Amelia Bedelia is a woman hired as a housekeeper for a man and his wife, and is always given a list of things to do while they are gone for the day. For some reason, she never understands what they mean on the list, and always does things literally. For instance, one item on the list is "Dress the turkey," which Amelia thinks is odd (why would you dress a turkey?) but she figures that they have a good reason for it, so she gets some sewing scraps from her box and gets the turkey out of the icebox and dresses him up nice with some lace and ribbon and such. Another example (the one I thought of when talking to Lauren) is when one item on the list said "Draw the drapes." Amelia thought this was odd, too, but she just shrugged, got her sketchpad, set it up in the drawing room and drew those dang drapes the best she knew how. Later, the man and wife come home and see everything that Amelia has done (some of which were quite disasterous, and involved cutting up the woman's bath towels and such) and are very upset--until they taste her lemon meringue pie, which she made at the last minute for them. It turns out to be so tasty that they decide not to fire her after all :) It is a happy happy series and if you never read them as a child, GO READ THEM NOW!!!! If you did read them, go re-read one or two. You will get a good chuckle out of them, I swear. I'm going to do the same thing tomorrow :D

peace, love, Amelia Bedelia,
Catherine

Comments

Popular Posts