Adventures in food

Nikolai turned 6 months old last Monday so we finally made the leap into the wonderful world of feeding him grown up people food! (aka "solids") 

With advice from our pediatrician, I've decided to do a relaxed introduction to solids.  This usually amounts to mashing up some of whatever we're eating and seeing if Nikolai will eat it, although I did take some time the other day and puree some different fruits and veggies especially for him.  So far it's going pretty well, except....well, to be frank and honest, Nikolai's poor little body doesn't quite know what to do with solids yet and he's a bit stopped up if you know what I mean. We're getting through it but in the meantime it makes for a cranky baby during the day and restless sleep for all of us at night.  

But let me tell you, it's pretty exciting to introduce our little buddy to food! I didn't realize how much I liked food til I noticed how excited I was to have him taste all sorts of different things.  And it doesn't hurt that he's pretty dang cute when he eats! 

Exhibit A: Bean puree mustache


(That one kills me every time.)

Exhibit B: all curled up in his high chair (that can't be good for his digestion! ;D)


Exhibit C: Drinking from a cup! (which he LOVES doing, by the way! Weird, huh?)


(and watch this segway here)
Exhibit D: Discovering the baby in the mirror and wanting to know how he tastes?


Nikolai Nikolai he's our man, if he can't do it no one can! Goooooo Nikolai! Eaaaaaat solids! 




Comments

Alex and Family said…
Be careful of the constipation! Charlie had it too. Prunes!! I just bought the pre-made Gerber kind and gave him half (or all depending on how backed up) of a 2.5 ounce package and it seems to work wonders. And apple juice. Good luck lady! :)
WoozleMom said…
That's the way I do solids, too. No need to rush!

...If your pediatrician gave you that advice, I think I like your pediatrician :) haha.
Anna said…
If he's constipated, don't give him rice or apples.

We used prunes and grape juice (w/no sugar, etc) for Rachel.

It's so sad when they're hurting and you can't help them. I know how miserable that is for everyone.

You'll find the balance, though, don't worry!

Popular Posts