Our (little) house in the middle of our street!

Hello all! I am finally caught up on our travels, so I can finally tell you about lovely Tübingen! Sweet Jesse was wonderful enough to write a little about the neighborhood and the town over here, so I thought I'd give you a little tour of our little studio apartment.  

Let's start at the beginning! Right as you come in the front door, you turn to your right, and voila! Our bathroom! By the way, the fact that we have a private bathroom is actually a huge rarity in Germany (Germans want their own room but don't mind sharing a bathroom!) so we were quite happy to have found one where ours is private.  I'm sure we could have shared one if necessary, but I must say it's much more comfortable to have our own!


And to the right of the shower, the toilet.  


Ok! Moving on! Turning back out of the bathroom with the front door at your back, you face into the rest of the room. 


A view a little to the left of the last shot--is this making sense? That cabinet there is where we keep our clothes.


A view from the corner of the room by the bed.  In the far corner by the window is our kitchen table/Jesse's desk, as well as the microwave and pots and pans and such and the tv (on which we get many many German news stations, German home shopping networks, BBC and CNN in English for Jesse, and a random tv station that plays tons of American cartoons and popular tv shows in German! In case you're wondering, Psych is almost as funny in German--but Mighty Ducks 2 is even better!)

Also, important to note is that white rectangle on the very right side of the picture--see it?  That, friends, is our kitchen.  More explanation on that later ;) 


A view from the kitchen table! Over there by that cabinet on the far wall was where I was standing for the previous picture. 


And this is our kitchen! Yes, it is inside a cabinet.  Yes, it is awesome.  We have just enough dishes and cups and silverware for 2 1/2 people, a two burner stove, a small sink, a tiny fridge and itty bitty trashcans! (two as you'll note--Germans sort their trash into 4 categories--food waste, paper, recycleables, and other trash--so we've got to do it too!)  It's funny having such a small place to cook but it's super nice to just wash everything up after dinner and close the cabinet doors and not have all of that all out in the open! 


Our little bitty fridge.  You should note the green bottle of Russian juice we bought for like 30 cents in Russia and brought with us here so that I could have it actually cold (russians never serve ANYTHING that is ACTUALLY cold--all drinks are like 50-60 degrees) and because it is so delicious! Russian juice is something else guys.  It's like straight fruit puree with minimal water and sugar and can be SUPER cheap and is SUPER delicious.  I may kind of be going through withdrawals from it now...


Our foodstuffs! There's not a lot of room for food storage, which is ok since we're not here for that long--it just got interesting when Jesse saw that kidney beans were on sale and wanted to buy a bunch for our whole time here... ;)  Also, notice our delicious German muesli--it's oat clusters and fruit and such that is pretty much just awesome. 


And to end our tour, here's the view out our window to the sweet little garden outside our door! We haven't hung out there yet, but it's a lovely little area and I think we'll probably have dinner out here soon! 


And that concludes our tour! Our place is small but quite cozy and happy :) It's also only a 20-25 minute walk to my class and a 10 minute walk to the supermarket! And I also just looked out the window and saw a little fluffy gray rabbit hopping about in our little garden yard.  Oh meine Gute!  :D

Comments

Loïe said…
My favorite part was: "In case you're wondering, Psych is almost as funny in German--but Mighty Ducks 2 is even better!" I'm glad you're having a good time in good ol' Europe!
Catherine said…
Tonight, they were showing America's funniest home videos...but with commentary in German. I didn't get to watch much of it but it was hilarious! It's pretty much my favorite channel :) (although you should also know, Hannah Montana is just as annoying in German--which I thought might not be true, because mostly what annoys me about her is her scratchy weird voice--but no. still obnoxious)
Mary G said…
Thanks so much for the tour! I really enjoyed seeing where you are living right now. Miss you!
Anna said…
What a great place! It looks so cute and clean and sunny and nice. I love love love the kitchen cupboard idea. Genius.
julis said…
Oh I feel like I've seen your place now. Because I have! Thank you for the tour, and the explanations. i also like the kitchen in a cupboard. It would be a good incentive to keep things tidy, since there's no where else for it to go. and I need incentives, I'm telling you. We miss you, but I'm so glad you're having such a good adventure!
Your apartment is so cute!!! But your kitchen is SO TINY!!! I could not live with a kitchen that small! It looks like you guys are having the time of your lives. I miss you lots! :) Love ya!
Catherine said…
Haha, isn't it funny? Yeah I couldn't live with a kitchen that small permanently, but for a month's stay it's been perfect!

Popular Posts