And that's not all, woah, there will be snacks, there will.

Jesse and I have been married for a little over a month now, and I have learned more things than I ever thought possible. These are not all related to being married. In fact, most of them aren't. But I've still learned them! Anyways.

So here, for your reading pleasure, is a list of them, in no particular order, as I think of them.



1. Jesse frequently forgets to put the toilet seat down, even though he claims he never forgets (he thinks I'm exaggerating).

2. Life before microwaves was a dark time. [we have learned this because we are as of right now, still microwaveless]. Our parents were brave people.

3. Jesse both sometimes looks like Jude Law, and also sometimes has dinosaur hair.



and

See what I'm talkin bout?

4. You can't really get irritated without it hurting someone when you're married. Before, it was ok(-er) if I got mad about something dumb and vented about it. But being irrational and stubborn now hurts Jesse, cause he tries to fix it. Or, I take it out on him. I'm learning a sort of self control I've never needed before. It's both a challenge and fascinating.

5. Doing dishes is less menial when you both pitch in and when you turn on music and have a little dance party during and after. This is a tradition we hope to keep alive and well throughout our marriage!

6. It is impossible to keep every room in the apartment clean at the same time. There's only five of them and two of us, but man! Crazy bidness! (this is my latest favorite phrase. It translates literally to "Crazy business" but means something more like "that's crazy/not good/hard.)
7. When you're only taking 11 credits, even if you're working 19 hours a week (almost the max I can work on campus), the long afternoons spent husbandless are still long. And it is still hard to do homework even though you have SO MUCH TIME!

8. When you have so much time on your hands but don't want to read that chapter for music civ, you come up with creative ways around it. Like:

8a. Crocheting blankets, hot pads, headbands, and flowers.

8b. Reading a LOT. I think I'm on 4 books in the past 2 weeks. In the ballpark of 1,500 pages.

9. Marriage is so wonderful because it's about work. We work to make sure the other person has something to eat when they come home, we go to work so that we can afford to eat, we hug each other at the end of the day and talk about how the day went, we work through little annoyances and human imperfections so we can have more peaceful hugs, more exciting date nights out and more quiet Discovery channel nights in, more happy breaking it down to Coldplay in the livingroom moments. If we didn't work for it, we couldn't be happy.

Well, I had thought of a lot more things the past few days while I was rolling this over in my head but I didn't write them down so they're gone. That just means I'll have to continue this when I remember them!

peace, love, learning is good,
Catherine

*The title of this blog is brought to you by Andrew Bird's Tables and Chairs*

Comments

melissa said…
i very very rarely use our microwave. to heat up canned beans, that's about it. i've recently begun preferring to melt butter over the stovetop even. call me crazy. (we didn't have our micro- for a long time either because my parents got it for us but they were far away.)
Kylie said…
Love it! There will be even more learnings, but the one about working is probably the most important, so you have a major head start. And...you crochet? Cuz I really want to learn about that.
Catherine said…
melissa--we're learning to be so old fashioned, it's crazy! the only time we really wish we had one is when we'd like to eat leftovers....but often we just let Jesse take them to school for lunch instead.

kylie--I totally crochet! My dad taught me growing up, and it's super easy! I'll teach you if you want!
WoozleMom said…
About keeping the house clean...it's never going to happen. :) The only time my whole house is ever clean is when I'm expecting company.

This week, the house is a wreck. I've been down with a nasty stomach bug and poor Steven just...forgets to clean up dishes and such. Lovely. Good thing I'm feeling better, but it's going to take a while to get caught up.

And last year when I had morning sickness, it took MONTHS to catch up on the cleaning.

Have fun crocheting.
Catherine said…
haha yeah I'm kinda figuring if I can't keep it clean now when there's just 2 of us, it's not looking good for when there's more of us...haha.

but I hope you feel better soon!!! Also, Jesse and I were thinking that anytime you guys needed a date night, we'd be more than glad to watch Josh for you! You name the day!

Popular Posts