On postpartum depression

Friends, I come to you today with an unusually serious topic, because I know it's something I need to talk about (and I was encouraged by the bravery of my wonderful friend Kylie!)

The year before we had Nikolai, I started getting baby hungry.  We had been married for about a year, and we had done the math and figured that I'd be done with school in a few months so it was about time to think about the next phase of our lives.  I grew up with a wonderful mother who loved being a mom and in a religious culture that emphasizes the importance of motherhood, and so I had always planned on being a mom.  

We got pregnant very easily and minus the first trimester's morning sickness, the rest of my pregnancy was very easy.  I loved being pregnant--feeling our baby move inside of me, dreaming of what he'd look like and how wonderful it would be to be his mother.  His birth even went relatively smoothly--I was able to make it to pushing without any pain medication, a personal goal I had, but because he was late and BIG we needed a C-section to complete his delivery.  But even that went fine--there were no complications, he was healthy and strong and I healed quickly.  

The first few days at the hospital, I felt great.  Nikolai took to breastfeeding like a natural so we didn't have that to worry about, and I was feeling so good that we had him room in with us every night so I could nurse him whenever he woke up.  

After 3 days at the hospital, we got to go home.  Jesse had gone back to work so he came and picked us up on his lunch break and took us home before heading back to work for the afternoon.  It was so exciting! But after a few days at home, I started not feeling so well.  Part of it was how little sleep you get with a newborn--people warn you about it, but it was something I just didn't understand until I was doing it.  I thought I understood being tired--I had stayed up late writing papers many a night in college, after all--but getting up every few hours every night for WEEKS is a completely different story.  It really takes a toll on your body.  

So there was that.  But I also had stopped feeling like myself.  I sat on the couch every day, watching endless hours of tv on netflix while intermittently feeding Nikolai and changing his diaper.  (side note: don't watch Hoarders as a new mom.  Your house starts to look like theirs and it makes you feel awful!) I never knew what he needed when he cried, so I felt really insecure about how I was doing as a mom, and I started dreading his little cry because I knew it was up to me to figure out what was wrong and fix it, and it felt like too much.  I thought I'd never sleep again, and I couldn't think rationally about things anymore.  I knew Nikolai was cute and sweet and that he was really an easy baby, but all I could think was that I just wanted him to go away.  

Probably worst of all, I realized that every single person that has lived on this planet was born from a woman who did this for them--fed them and cleaned them and hardly slept for months on end, and yet I just couldn't do it.  I remembered quotes from leaders of our church about motherhood, that it was the highest calling for women and the most important thing we could do.  And I felt guilty, because most days, I hated it. All I could think was, "I wanted this?! What on earth were we thinking? And why would I want to have any more children?!"  It felt like a life sentence.  I felt like a terrible mother, a terrible person, and a terrible Mormon.  It was awful.  

A few weeks in, I had a breakdown.  We were at my parents' house one Sunday afternoon, and I had gone to the back to feed Nikolai.  My mom came in to talk to me about something or other but I felt so bad all I could do was cry.  When I finished feeding Nikolai, I had her take him out cause I just couldn't bear to be with him.  Jesse came in and said some comforting things that couldn't touch the downward spiral I was in and ended up just holding me while I cried.  I didn't want to do it anymore, I told him.  I dreaded going to bed every night because I knew I wouldn't sleep.  I got sick to my stomach even thinking about getting ready for bed.  That night, we ended up spending the night at my parents' house because I couldn't bear the thought of sleeping in our bedroom that night.  

That week, I finally started to reach out to friends about my situation.   As I started talking to people to find out if the first few weeks of motherhood had been this hard for them, I found that I knew a few people who had gone through postpartum depression.  I wasn't quite ready to name it that yet--after all depression was AWFUL, right?  And I felt awful, but not AWFUL--but after talking to them, I realized I needed to talk to my doctor about it, because I couldn't take it the way things were going for much longer.  Luckily, I had a c-section check up in a few days, and one of my friends committed me to calling her afterwards so I couldn't back out of talking to the doctor about it.  

After talking briefly to my doctor, he explained that after pregnancy, sometimes your hormones don't adjust back to their normal levels right away and can result in postpartum depression.  He prescribed me a low-dose anti-depressant, saying that sometimes a small dose could make a big difference in balancing those hormones out, but to be sure to call him if I wasn't feeling better soon.  

It took a few days, but after about a week, I remember sitting with Jesse at the dinner table and looking over at him and Nikolai and feeling happy--something I hadn't felt for weeks.  When I looked at Nikolai, I stopped feeling guilty and finally saw him for how wonderful he really was.  Motherhood became a joy instead of torture.  And not long after that, Nikolai started smiling, and things were wonderful, the way I always hoped it would be.  

Don't get me wrong, motherhood is still the hardest thing I've ever done, and there are many times when I hand Nikolai over to Jesse because it's been a long day (yay for having a spouse to help out!), but it's also the most rewarding experience I've had thus far in life.  

So friends, if you've struggled with postpartum depression, know this:

You don't have to suffer alone.  You might decide that medication isn't for you, but you can talk to someone--be it your doctor, mother, sister, spouse, or friend--but you don't have to do it alone.  You should be able to enjoy your baby, even if your hormones aren't cooperating!  

And a brief suggestion to all my new mom friends: read Secrets of the Baby Whisperer. It gave me some good tools as a new mom that helped me know what my baby needed and made me feel a LOT more confident as a mother.  

And lastly, to my mama friends: you can do it! It can be great! I love you and believe in you! And lastly, you're doing a good job, because you're doing the best job you can :)

Comments

WoozleMom said…
I am so proud of you! And I love you very much.

Being a mom is HARD. It's worth it, but sometimes it feels like it isn't. You're doing great. Keep going! I'll be praying for you.

Love and hugs,
Kathryn
Anonymous said…
Thanks so much for this! Since I already have depression, my chances of being hit hard by postpartum depression are pretty high. I worry about it sometimes, and it's nice to hear someone else's experience.

It's amazing how much a little medication can help, but counseling is even more helpful. I go to the BYU Comprehensive Clinic, which is fabulous and only $15 a visit. Keep that in mind if you decide you need therapy :)

Hang in there, and THANK YOU for opening up!
bRob said…
You're a rockstar. I love your vulnerability here - today you made the internet better =)
The Twiggers said…
Woah, this has just reminded me of what it was like first time around, and for some crazy reason I have decided to do it all over again in a couple of weeks??? Amazing.

Well done for being brave and going to see Dr about it, and opening up about it. I didn't have PND but even so the crazy hormones you get after having a baby are just out of this world. I used to cry every time I had to breast feed on my left side- it felt like breaking glass for nine weeks. Plus no sleeping will turn anybody into a complete nutter, whoever they are!!! Put on top of that any other emotional worries you have, or resentfulness that you have the responsibility of a baby while your husband can still play around on the computer (don't ask!) and things are pretty overwhelming. You are doing an amazing job.

Crazily (or maybe Heavenly Father designs it cunningly this way?!) everything was great when Oliver started smiling and I think he turned 3 months old... and then when he turned 6 months we thought we'd try for another one!! Amazing.

I think the turning point from motherhood being some huge horrible ordeal to a lovely, fun, worthwhile thing was when I started getting out and about more and interacting with other Mums during the day (I used to just lynch Ben when he came home every night and tell him everything- it must have been quite scary!) and it turned more Summery. And I kind of "came to terms" with what being a Mum entailed. And it is wonderful. (Bring on the second one??!! Woahhhh)

Sorry for the above epic-ness- I hope all is well :)
Anna said…
Of course, I love this post. I love that more people are being open and talking about this. It helps so much just to know you're not the only one, and it's actually more common than you think.

I want to do a PPD post, but I'm scared I'll mess it up. You worded everything perfectly- way to tackle a hard topic!
Kylie said…
Thanks for sharing Catherine!! I had a hard time the first several weeks also (hello Netflix and sitting on the couch, that was totally me), but it didn't hit me quite like that. Yay for modern medicine and for feeling better! And FYI - it just gets better, and better, and better...
melissa said…
catherine, i didn't know you had such a hard time! i remember feeling or saying basically every single thing you wrote here, too. except, for weird, it more like post-postpartum since it didn't really hit me until like 3-6 months. but once the weather warmed up and we could get outside more it got a lot better. and once he slept through the night (10 months) it got a LOT better. oh that sleeping problem. it's so so hard. i'm so glad you're feeling better!

ps i am only just now feeling like it wouldn't kill me to have another baby someday. :)
Heidi M. said…
Really well-written, Catherine - it is so admirable how you handled this and then wrote something that can help others that suffer. You are awesome, and also, I'm glad you are feeling better!
Alex and Family said…
I totally TOTALLY relate to how you felt. Although it seems it was a little worse for you (hormones-wise)... I remember having a lot of the same feelings. It wasn't fun. I felt like a big blob of boob (oh, and Charlie didn't breastfeed well so I was ALWAYS in pain when he ate... until I started pumping, and that didn't help!!). My recovery from childbirth was HORRIBLE. Yeah... those first few weeks (probably about a month) I kept mourning my old life and wondering what the HECK I got myself into. So, basically, you're not alone. Glad to hear you're doing better, and it just keeps getting better as little one gets older. I promise :D
bearydiane said…
My sweet Catherine! Thank you for being so brave and sharing this!! I know so many who go through these feelings. So proud of you for getting help & not giving up!! I need to come see you all very soon!! Love you!

Popular Posts