Work programs!

Guys, I plan and put on a TON of programs for work. Like, 5 or so a month. And I only work part-time! I actually think maybe I'm doing too many for how few hours I'm trying to pack it all into, so I might cut back some after the baby is born. But it's hard to want to, because I enjoy them all so much!

I did an Aurora Borealis themed program for 5th and 6th graders, and they did an AMAZING job at making their own Northern Lights out of chalk pastels. 


And then (because we like to bribe our patrons with snacks) we decorated cookies to look like constellations. Honestly most kids just dumped as many sprinkles on as they could, but a few got really into it!


Every month I make a new YA display, and this month's is obviously Olympics/award winning books themed:


(Guys I get paid to do things like cut flags out of construction paper. It is the greatest)


Another program for 5th and 6th graders was a Lunar New Year celebration. We made lucky paper fish:


And then we decorated cookies to be like Fai Chun, traditional lucky decorations. The kids actually got WAY into piping lucky symbols onto their cookies. I was so impressed!


This month I've also planned a math club for early elementary students, did a storytime, had a book club for 2-3rd graders, and had a graphic novel discussion/olympic games night for 3-4th graders (SO FUN). It's hard to work just 12 hours a week for a lot of reasons (I'm starting to think it would be less stressful to work full-time, if only because I'd spend proportionally less time commuting, shuffling kids around, and trying to get into my work headspace) but I also really, really love what I do. 

Comments

Loïe said…
That is so wonderful that you love your job so much! Looks like you are in the right program. :) And I hope you don't underestimate the skills it takes to make construction paper flags! A lot of people couldn't stand it and would find it frustrating or boring. Creativity can be a surprisingly rare skill.

Popular Posts