I make/remake stuff

This week's "I make stuff" is actually me attempting to remake something...namely, some pairs of flats! A few months ago a found a tutorial (*link*) to recover flats with your choice of fabric.  In the tutorial she buys some cheap plain flats and does it to make them cute, but I used it to recover some flats that were worn and much in need of a little face lift! (Also, she used regular mid podge but I followed the suggestion of using outdoor mod podge so it would be waterproof--and it worked really well for me!) 

So here's the before pictures: 


Doesn't look too bad on first glance, but then you zoom in: 


and you see how dirty and frayed they've gotten! 

This pair also doesn't look too bad: 


But despite how much I liked their black glittery-ness, they had just gotten too worn :(


And finally, my favorite pair of shoes, my so called "grown up lady shoes", were so well-loved that they peeled and became no longer so classy and cute.  


So then I recovered them with fabric! 

I really liked having a pair of plain black flats, so I recovered the black flats with some black cotton fabric I had in my stash: 


And guess what--they don't look any different! Except they aren't worn anymore :)


I really like that the outdoor mod podge makes it hard and adds a little bit of sparkle to it, which reminds me of how they were glittery before! 

The flowered flats got covered in some random blue fabric from my stash: 


(please kindly ignore the stains on the toes--I've actually did these first and have been wearing them for a few weeks now, so they've gotten a little dirty...)


I liked the purple color of my grown up lady shoes so much that I bought a fat quarter of cotton fabric in a similar shade a recovered them! 



And there they all are, lined up, afterwards! 


I'm really pleased with how they turned out--and especially pleased that I was able to renew some beloved shoes for about $7--much cheaper than buying new ones! Hooray! 

Comments

melissa said…
wow, i'd call that a "make do and mend" triumph!
Messy Musings said…
you are SO talented!! love the frugal and fun way you refurbished the shoes!!

Popular Posts